'55 or '56 Thunderbird Jr for sale #1573

A place to list things you want or are trying to sell

'55 or '56 Thunderbird Jr for sale #1573

Postby Stev-jr » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:01 am

'55 or '56 Thunderbird Junior for sale-- Powercar Company serial # 1573

Cleaning out the garage...

I've had this cute little item for perhaps 8-10 years. My next door neighbor was this car's second owner, and he had used it as a practical go-kart for his kids and grandkids for decades. He's passed on now, but I can furnish more details of the car's history if anyone here is seriously interested in buying.

General condition of said vehicle? What can I say... this unit needs substantial TLC and $ to come back to it's factory glory. The fact that it was used as a practical go-kart for so long means that many of the the little cosmetic parts have long since fallen off or gotten painted over. According to the gentleman who sold it to me, all that is required to make it run is a 6-volt car battery (I've never tried it)

I used to work on cars as a hobby, but it looks like I will never get around to this project. If I'm going to sell it, I much prefer that this item to go to someone who loves and restores these cars.

Price? I'm going to post this here for a while and see what happens-- I suspect Ebay or Craigslist will turn up more "middle man / picker" type buyers. It's nice to see a thriving community here of real enthusiasts.

A qualified buyer must:

A) (much preferred) pick up the unit in the New England area OR
B) arrange and pay for transportation

AND

C) (much preferred) pay in cash OR
D) pay in full and all checks must clear before I will ship this out

Ultimately the reserve price will be $500.00-- any less then this and it's not worth even selling... I will just keep it forever as an adorable item of historical interest.

I would be pleasantly surprised if it sold for more then $1000.00. By all means, feel free to bid higher if you want it and that becomes necessary. Just take a good look at the pictures-- it's gonna take more then a free Saturday afternoon and some rubbing compound to make this thing cherry.

I took a bunch of pictures, but the site wouldn't let me upload more then 3(?!)-- Hopefully the 3 that loaded are viewable, if not, I'll try it again
Attachments
IMG_1443.jpgS.jpg
IMG_1442.jpgS.jpg
IMG_1450.jpgS.jpg
Stev-jr

Re: '55 or '56 Thunderbird Jr for sale #1573

Postby leeexline » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:05 am

Looks like just what Lorilynn memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=55
has been looking for and in her area? Her dad worked at the company that made them
Welcome to my website forums. please feel free to share your knowledge, stories and images about junior cars with others with like interests.
leeexline
Site Admin

Postby Scott b. » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:25 pm

I would say it is a 56? Nice looking original car. Too far for me to drive tho.
Scott b.

Postby Stev-jr » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:36 am

Hmmm... according to some info I saw posted in here, a '56 should have little circles above the taillights. I checked, and this car doesn't have them, so currently I'm suspecting it's actually a '55.

Note to Site Administrator: My current privileges don't allow don't allow me to answer the inquires that I get! Please change my settings so that I can answer them.

Lorilynn if you can read this: You're probably a 30-40 minute drive from here, you'd just have to cross the Conn border and keep going for about 10 minutes. I've never actually unbolted the body and taken it off the chassis, but the back end of the car is pretty heavy-- so I know it's running gear is in there. The gentleman who sold it to me did, however, tell me that the reverse gear was either broken/removed/disconnected-- I can't remember which.
Stev-jr

Postby leeexline » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:24 pm

Stev-jr wrote:Note to Site Administrator: My current privileges don't allow don't allow me to answer the inquires that I get! Please change my settings so that I can answer them.

All new members must post three approved posts before they will be able to post automatically and I also believe it does not allow for new members to send messages to other members until they have reached this threshold? You have now passed that mark and should be able to move around freely?

I get on average 25 new members that are spammers to every legitimate forum member. I am constantly banning email servers, banning IP addresses and even entire blocks of IP addresses in order to stop them. Just before I approved your last post I blocked a spammer from France that was in the process of setting up an account and removed another one from Thailand that had one set up and attempted to post a link to their site. The only thing they can manage to do that others can see is list their website in their profile and hope someone clicks on it before I take them out. Their post if they make one goes into a holding cell until I approve it or ban it (and them) and they can not contact other members to send them spam. They often lie about where they are from but I can track them by their IP address. If the IP address shows on a spammers log or the claimed location in the profile does not match the IP address they are automatically banned and blocked. Russia used to be my biggest problem but I probably have most of the country blocked now? The Chinese spammers must think you guys want Ipod, Ipad and cell phone accessories because they keep trying to sell them here and I have even had them try to sell cigarettes on this forum.

It's a big, big world that seems a lot smaller each day but I will keep fighting them!
RANT OVER!
Thanks for you patience and understanding.
Welcome to my website forums. please feel free to share your knowledge, stories and images about junior cars with others with like interests.
leeexline
Site Admin

Postby Stev-jr » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:20 pm

Wow, thanks leeexline for explaining the delay. It looks like the internet has become a spam encrusted minefield of ill-intentioned people doing unscrupulous business. Thank you for moderating this forum and ejecting all of the spam. I believe I have been to this website many times through the years, but is this discussion forum a new option? I must have missed it every time I visited here in the past. I remember this website very well, and you do great work on it.
Stev-jr

Postby leeexline » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:30 pm

This particular version of the forum has been up and running less than a year but I had a forum before this one that was up for a few years. That one had a security flaw that allowed spammers to enter through a back door and setup a page that could not be seen on the forums but was used to spread spam from a legitimate host until I caught it a few days later and shut it down. Regretfully that also meant shutting down that version of the forum.
I am glad to provide the service of the forum and the information on the website and now that the videos on youtube are generating some cash they cover the cost of running the site.
leeexline
Site Admin

Postby Stev-jr » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:58 am

News update on Thunderbird Jr. #1573........... SOLD to LoriLynn for an undisclosed sum. Thank you all for your interest and support.
Stev-jr

Return to Sale and Wanted