Calling all cars, calling all cars! junior cars unite!

Place to share knowledge of powered promotional cars of the '50s '60s and '70s.

Calling all cars, calling all cars! junior cars unite!

Postby leeexline » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:27 pm

I just received the official word from Leslie Mark Kendall the curator at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles California.
The Petersen will be doing an exhibit of Junior cars with 50-60 cars to be represented on display for over a year. The actual dates will be determined in about a month in mid January. but will be at least 2014 before it starts depending on when the space will open up. This is a giant leap toward getting junior cars the recognition that they deserve! Not only will the display be viewed by museum patrons the press / magazine exposure will be extensive since Petersen publishing runs most of the good automotive publications around the globe. After years of being an obscure, relatively unknown subculture of automotive collecting we are finally getting our chance in the spotlight. http://petersen.org/

How did this happen?
As anyone who has been around here for a while knows I am always looking for a way to promote junior cars. this website, magazine articles, club news letters, parades, car shows, Facebook, other forums etc. Junior cars are a mostly forgotten piece of automotive history that were so rare that they did not get much exposure in the first place and they have just been lost to time. over a year ago the Petersen did a display of fiberglass cars and I contacted the museum to see if they were interested in including some junior cars? It was too late the display was already set up, so I offered to help if they were interested in showing some on the future and that was the last I had heard about it for some time. Evidently Leslie had taken some photos from JRCENTRAL and had some kind of display set up at the Barrett Jackson auction and asked attendees if they had a display of these cars would you attend? They response was 100% yes so the ball was set in motion

Where do the cars come from?
The earliest car (from the teens) will probably come from the Gilmore Museum in Michigan and others from other museums but the bulk of them will come from junior owners like you and me. I am going to loan my original factory mold for the 58-60 Thunderbird along with a body from that mold, photos of that mold being developed and most of my literature collection will be made available so that they can scan them for display purposes.For the most part they are looking for original and restored original cars but will probably display one or two modified cars to show what can and has been done to them. If anyone has a bare frame they are interested in one for the display also. I will be glad to loan my 66 Mustang and 61 Thunderbird but they both have some modifications. I will be contacting forum members asking them to submit their cars for consideration as time rolls forward.

What cars are wanted for the exhibit
While the museum will be looking for some cars that are out of the scope of powered promotional that we specialize in here I am looking to help them locate the following cars for the exhibit.
56 silvestri Pontiac
58-60 Plymouth Fury juniors
1958 Edsel youngstar
1958 Desoto Firemite
1957 and 58 Sunliner JRs
1965-67 Mustang Juniors
1971 Conval Mustang
1955-66 Thunderbird Juniors
1950s jaguar
many products from F.W. and asosiates
1958 Yardman corvette
1963 Barry toycraft corvette
1959-60 Studebaker Larkette
Robel Divco
Creative industries 65 Plymouth
Ih scout
Gremlin
Subaru brat
However final selection of the cars to be displayed will be the decision of museum staff, I am just helping in any way I can to make this happen, and make it happen well!

How do the cars get to the museum and back to the owners?
The museum pays for the transportation of the selected cars to the museum and back home to their owners, They will be insured and cared for by the museum.

Guest speakers will be looked for. People with direct connections to companies that made the cars? Designers from Ford and other companies that made junior cars that made JRs etc.

I am sure that many more questions will arise before the time arrives. Needless to say I am excited
Welcome to my website forums. please feel free to share your knowledge, stories and images about junior cars with others with like interests.
leeexline
Site Admin

Re: Calling all cars, calling all cars! junior cars unite!

Postby snyderkm » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:20 pm

Lee, that is great news. Now I have to plan a trip to LA in 2014!!!
snyderkm

Postby leeexline » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:27 pm

snyderkm wrote:Lee, that is great news. Now I have to plan a trip to LA in 2014!!!

As soon as they firm up the dates I will post them here (could be 2014 or 2015). This will be a chance for Junior members to get together and a chance for us to show off!
Welcome to my website forums. please feel free to share your knowledge, stories and images about junior cars with others with like interests.
leeexline
Site Admin

Postby aaronkahlenberg » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:21 pm

You know my cars will be available! I've had cars on display at the museum in the past... And Leslie is a great guy. It'll be fun for the kids, though I hope they will be able to take their cars out for a spin in the museum's parking lot every once in awhile. Do we finally get to meet in person!?

Aaron
1958 Fury Jr.
1959 Fury Jr.
1960 Fury Jr.
1965 Plymouth Valiant Convertible
1960 Dodge Polara 9 passenger station wagon
aaronkahlenberg

Postby leeexline » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:49 pm

aaronkahlenberg wrote:You know my cars will be available! I've had cars on display at the museum in the past... And Leslie is a great guy. It'll be fun for the kids, though I hope they will be able to take their cars out for a spin in the museum's parking lot every once in awhile. Do we finally get to meet in person!?

Aaron

OK, we have the Plymouth's pretty much covered! Thanks Aaron I kind of figured I could count on you.
I don't know how they react to people wanting to take their cars for a spin while they are on display? I am sure that a lot of spectators would like to see them in action. We need to at least have one video of someone (adult) getting in and out running an endless loop as that seems to be the hardest thing for people to understand.

I intend on being there for the opening of the exhibit. Still really early in the planning stages.
leeexline
Site Admin

Postby aaronkahlenberg » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:09 am

I'm pretty sure that with a little notice and a visit on a Monday (when the museum is closed to the public) the kids could take their cars out. I'd like to take a video with the elevator doors opening and having the car drive out. They could have a lot of fun, but could also cause a lot of trouble! Lol!!
1958 Fury Jr.
1959 Fury Jr.
1960 Fury Jr.
1965 Plymouth Valiant Convertible
1960 Dodge Polara 9 passenger station wagon
aaronkahlenberg

Postby leeexline » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:12 am

Time to get some cones and have some intensive driving school before the exhibit starts.
leeexline
Site Admin

Postby LoriLynne » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:44 am

WOW!!! This is very cool news. I would love to attend. My T bird is not restored so I won't be able to submit, but I would still love to attend event.
My Dad and Mr. Ford would be so proud.
Thank you

Lori Sinkowski McRobbie
:D
LoriLynne

Postby leeexline » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:02 am

Lori, it's over a year away. is that time enough to finish your car?

I would love to have as many of us there as possible and you and your brother with your personal association with one of the prominent manufacturers would indeed be able to share experiences that we all would love to hear. I tried to visit Jim years ago when I picked up the body molds but the timing was off, he just couldn't make it. I would love to have a chance to visit with both of you, and go through Jim's literature collection.
leeexline
Site Admin

Postby driverjim » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:25 am

Congratulations Lee. A great step for PowerCars. I will definitely plan to visit and if my collection of literature, family pictures or other might help, I would be happy to participate. I also have an unrestored PowerCar from an original owner with the two person trailer in my collection. This is the same as the car where I am pictured on the cover of the 9/1/52 Popular Science. I also know two other people who worked at the plant. Jim Sinkowski
driverjim

Next

Return to General Forums for JRCentral.com