Roadrunner Volare Jr.

Place to share knowledge of powered promotional cars of the '50s '60s and '70s.

Roadrunner Volare Jr.

Postby Racerboy13x » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:04 pm

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and i'm looking for a little guidance. I have recently acquired a '76-'77 Plymoth Roadrunner Volare Jr. It was manufactured by FW & Associates out of Mansfield Ohio. It is in amazingly good shape (its orange with the correct Roadrunner and Volare badging). I was wondering if anyone out there has any info about this Jr (how many were made and how many are left). I know that they made a Dodge Aspen version as well, and I have seen a few of them but I have yet to see a Roadrunner Volare version. Any information would be quite helpful, and I will be sure to post some pics as soon as possible.
Racerboy13x

Re: Roadrunner Volare Jr.

Postby leeexline » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:06 pm

Here is a picture of the car he sent me.
Attachments
Ashtons car 002.jpg
Welcome to my website forums. please feel free to share your knowledge, stories and images about junior cars with others with like interests.
leeexline
Site Admin

Postby lunardude » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:19 am

hi! very cool go kart! yours is the only roadrunner volare kart i've seen also. have seen a few apsen's on ebay made by the same company. as for info, it's hard, i have a top fuel type go kart made by f. w. & assoc. and i can't seem to find any info also. if you would like to talk sometime about our karts i can be reached at 330 904 5562 or dwaynegerhard@yahoo.com thanks, dwayne.
lunardude

Postby Scott b. » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:15 pm

I think this is supposed to be a Mustang II
Attachments
Mustang II.jpg
Scott b.

Postby Racerboy13x » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:02 pm

I am certain that it is in fact a Plymoth because I was able to track down the dealership that it was originally deisnated to. But as for farther info it has been a tough battle...the dealership that orginally owned the car has since gone out of business and no one seems to have any info on this unique piece. Thanks for the insight.

Andy
Racerboy13x

Postby leeexline » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:15 pm

I have seen another
Attachments
f9_3.jpg
85_3.jpg
7a_3.jpg
3a_3.jpg
Welcome to my website forums. please feel free to share your knowledge, stories and images about junior cars with others with like interests.
leeexline
Site Admin

Postby JavelinSST » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:20 pm

I just joined this forum as I just acquired a body for one of these yesterday. I was looking for info on it and this is the only site I found. It was left at a property my boss bought and since I'm a Mopar fan (actually I'm an AMC guy, but I dig pentastars too) he gave it to me. It's the same as the above units, except it's in rougher shape and this one has no front spoiler below the bumper.

My first thought was to build a chassis for it using Jr. Dragster parts and wheels and tires, and build a sort of mini drag-car using something like a 250 Dirtbike engine or maybe something truly twisted like a 750 GSXR motor or something. :twisted: Would really be a screamer with my 160-lb. butt in it. Would be a great little unit to promote the shop I work at (I'm an auto tech and we also work on bikes)

But after reading this and seeings as it seems kind of rare, it might be kind of a shame to do something like that with it. Might be better to just sell it to a collector who would be able to use it. What's something like this worth?

There's a dealership plaque on the rear spoiler that says Gotfredsons Chrysler Plymouth, which was a dealership in Lincoln, Nebraska in the 70's and 80's. It's in pretty rough shape, there's some badly-repaired cracks (looks like it got run into something) and there are some cracks around the roof opening where it looks like something got set on it. But if you got the decals reproduced, it would be easy to repair and paint it.

I'd post pictures, but my wife is in las Vegas right now and has the camera. She should be back tomorrow night so I'll post pics tuesday after I get off work.

I do have a bit of a soft spot for Jr. cars, as a kid I blasted around the neighborhood in what I thought was a poorly-proportioned orange Corvette, but I found out many years later that it was a Rupp Monza Jr. And I wish my dad never sold it, it was cherry. :(

A few years back I acquired a fiberglass T-bucket hot rod body that was somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 scale (just wide enough to squeeze two skinny adults in) and I was going to build it using a Harley-Davidson Golf Cart rearend (looks like a minature Dana 44) and a four-cylinder motorcycle engine. I got as far as bulding a frame and getting the body and rear axle mocked up and I got short of $ and sold the project.
JavelinSST

Postby scmopar007 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:05 pm

Hello eveyone, I just bought a yellow Volare Road Runner Jr. that is pretty rough. I'm in the process of restoring it, does anyone know where I can get a set of decals at? The front spoiler is also missing and so is the dealer info on the rear bumper as I understand. There has been some repairs made on the rear bumper, that info maybe under those repairs, I don't know if it can be made legable or not. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot. Bobby
scmopar007

Postby Steve in NJ » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:46 pm

Do you still have the Road Runner?

Steve in NJ
Steve in NJ

Return to General Forums for JRCentral.com