modified power cars

Place to share knowledge of powered promotional cars of the '50s '60s and '70s.

modified power cars

Postby Jim D » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:50 pm

Is/was there ever any interest in modifying an early power car? I mean, what if you can't get the parts you need for yours. My 1955 T-Bird if fairly complete.
It was converted to gas power. It still has the early B $ S engine on it, but so are the power cables and the reversing switch. I'm interested in converting it back to
electric. I have a 24 volt 500 watt scooter that I could cannibalise for the electric parts and drive system. At least that way it would have variable speeds with
reverse. It would be a lot smoother in operation and still be quiet. I'm also working on another go cart with wheels and tires that would look great on this car.

The body of my car had a big wing glassed onto the trunk lid which was cut out. I would have to learn how to fiberglas to repair that back to stock looking.
It looks like a drag racer and probably runs like one with the centrifugal clutch. It almost looks like the factory converted it to gas, but did a quicky job of it.

Do many people read this forum or are they lurkers because they still have one or are still interested in them?

Jim D.
Jim D

Re: modified power cars

Postby tbird-mike » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:39 pm

Hi
I restored my 55 tbird used a razor 24 volt motor made it radio controlled. It is little under powered but works.

see my posts under tbird- Mike

Re: Restoring 55 tbird Jr (Radio Controlled)

Post by tbird-mike » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:32 pm
Its done!! Car body finished and radio control operational
Link to u tube for video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc0how1vNyU
tbird-mike

Return to General Forums for JRCentral.com