Mustang Jrs as carnival ride ?

Place to share knowledge of powered promotional cars of the '50s '60s and '70s.

Mustang Jrs as carnival ride ?

Postby crazyDon » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:47 pm

Several years ago when going to the local San Angelo Rodeo/fair I was floored when I noticed this small ride for little kids was using 67 Mustang bodies. They were connected to arms going to the center, motor drive, and the cars went around in a circle. There might have been bumps on the board track. I was not familiar with the Jr mustangs at the time, but I wanted one of those cars. The rodeo is coming back in a few weeks and I hope this ride is still being used by the carnival company. If so, I hope to get many detailed photos to share with everyone. Keep your fingers crossed!
crazyDon

Re: Mustang Jrs as carnival ride ?

Postby LoriLynne » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:10 am

Hello,
my dad used to work at powercar and there was a man from the Pretzel Amusement Ride group that used to purchase JR cars and retrofit them for his amusement rides. Not sure where the rides were. If you google Pretzel Amusement Rides you might find out where the rides are/were.
Enjoy!
Lori
LoriLynne

Postby crazyDon » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:37 pm

Thank you for the info, indeed. In the pictures for Pretzel Amusement Rides there are a few pictures of the 65 Mustang Jr bodies being used like giant slot cars on huge track! I thoroughly enjoyed seeing them and the other carnival ride pictures. Brings back memories. Also saw what looked like a comment from Lee, 2011 saying he had the molds for those bodies. It truely is a small (car) world.
crazyDon

Postby crazyDon » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:15 pm

Getting old has a way of letting you know. What I remember seemed like just a few years ago was in actuality 20 plus years ago. The small carnival and concessions that used to setup during the rodeo, has been replaced by a larger and much different updated version, not affiliated with the earlier one. I'm sad to say the ride that used the Mustang Jr bodies was a no show and was likely retired years ago. I can just picture that ride broken down into pieces laying in some back lot or field somewhere here in the midwest, rotting away. Sorry everybody. :(
crazyDon

Return to General Forums for JRCentral.com